Discuss an “Aha” from Creative Writing Class

There were some days in Creative Writing that I absolutely loved. They usually were our talks that went off topic into some pretty cool ideas. One of them was how we began talking about innocence which actually was the inspiration behind my short story “A Moment of Glad Grace”. These discussions were amazing and helped me look at the deeper meanings behind what is seen.

Our Bow View Manor trip taught me so much. Although I probably had the funnest guy at the elderly home, there was something about Jack that showed to me that he wasn’t entirely happy. He told me how he disliked being at the elderly home because it made him feel caged. This helped me appreciate each moment that I have as a youth so that there are no regrets when I do come to that age.

There was one seminar that, somehow, initiated the topic of “civilization” and whether today we truly are at that level. This made me think about it a lot, and I loved how in this class we are free to express ourselves with no restrictions which is key to the growth of any writer.

The Carl Jung story of philosophy gave me some great insight into how my life in the present is and how it will look like in the future. I loved the symbolism behind all the characters or objects within the story. If I am ever given the chance to do this again, I will gladly take it.

What have you accomplished as a reader?

This year was my only true year of reading. I read many of the classics to balance my lack of reading for the past 14 years. Now, I am unable to go back and read other “candy” books because these classics have made me addicted- if that is even possible with a book.

After reading and analyzing many texts this year, I have been much better at looking for such traits in any narrative or poem. This has, consequently, helped me improve with my “cold reads”.

What is your plan to read next?

Well, after I finish reading Impulse and The Stone Angel, then I will begin reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Wars, and hopefully The Nightingale. 

Discuss the best book you read this semester?

Frankenstein is probably the best book that I have read in my life let alone this semester. There is something about Victor Frankenstein that make me able to relate to him. It is such a wonderful book in how it goes into depth about the monster’s lack of empathy near the end of the book because of his growing resilience. The duality of both these characters seemed quiteas they both appeared to exist as one. *Spoiler Ahead. Even the concept of Frankenstein dying in the cold juxtaposed to his creation being burned in fire was beautifully shown. The vocabulary was somewhat complex, but Mary Shelley’s ideas had so much depth that it just kept pushing me to keep on reading.

How does reading improve your writing?

For me, reading has given me certain insights on themes that I would have never personally thought of. It expands my previous knowledge and helped me find my own voice when writing. If I find a good book that is well-written, then I begin using their style by putting it into my own writing.

What have you accomplished as a writer? What is your plan to write next?

I am now able to observe whats around me and put it on paper. Honestly, this year has allowed me to improve substantially because of the freedom we were given to express ourselves. Another accomplishment I had was being able to emulate other writers or poets and take something from them that I can make unique to me. For the future, I am planning to write a longer short story than usual that has more dialogue as this is what I am lacking in. However, I might even use less dialogue for this future piece and just focus on thought.

Will you take Creative Writing again? Why? Why not?

This isn’t even a question for me because I feel an attachment to Creative Writing that I have never felt in any of my other classes. I will definitely take it again next year and hopefully again in grade 12. Sometimes in life we are given something that is not meant to have a specific purpose but rather is there just to find ourselves. Creative Writing does just that, and it has helped spark the creativity inside my brain. Even the atmosphere of the classroom is so calming that all the stress I build from my other subjects fades away.

What are your next steps to improve as a writer?

I would like to make my writing more clear and concise so that my audience can understand what I am trying to say. Sometimes simplicity can go farther than just having amazing insight into a theme. Then, I would also try to emulate more from other writers to craft my own voice. Other than that, experience by getting to know more about what surrounds me, which I will be given as I mature, is another way that would help me to improve.

Citations:

Featured Image